Welcome to our guide on the best parks in Los Angeles, California. Los Angeles is famous for its stunning outdoor areas, providing an extensive array of recreational activities for locals and visitors alike. Whether you’re looking for a park to take your kids, walk your dog, go for a leisurely stroll, engage in sporting activities, enjoy events and entertainment, or ride bikes, Los Angeles has got you covered!
Affiliate Disclaimer: Our blog posts may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we receive a modest commission at no extra cost to you. These commissions help us fund our team of travel writers, allowing us to continue providing you with the latest travel news, tips, and inspiration. Your support keeps this blog alive and thriving, and we appreciate it immensely. Thank you!
Table of Contents
- Best Parks for Kids in Los Angeles
- Best Parks for Dogs in Los Angeles
- Best Parks for Walking in Los Angeles
- Best Parks for Runners in Los Angeles
- Best Parks for Sporting Activities in Los Angeles
- Best Parks for Events and Entertainment in Los Angeles
- Best Parks for Riding Bikes in Los Angeles
Best Parks in Los Angeles for Kids
- Griffith Park – With its vast open spaces, playgrounds, and attractions like the Griffith Observatory and Los Angeles Zoo, Griffith Park offers endless fun for kids.
- Angeles National Forest – Situated on the outskirts of Los Angeles, this national forest provides opportunities for hiking, picnicking, and exploring nature, making it a great destination for a family day trip.
- Exposition Park – Home to the Natural History Museum, California Science Center, and the Exposition Park Rose Garden, this park offers both educational and recreational activities for kids.
- Grand Park – Situated in downtown Los Angeles, Grand Park features a splash pad, playgrounds, and ample space for kids to run around and enjoy outdoor activities.
- Silver Lake Meadow – This park offers a large grassy area, picnic tables, and a playground, making it an ideal place for families to gather and enjoy a day out.
Best Parks in Los Angeles for Dogs
- Runyon Canyon Park – Known for its dog-friendly trails and stunning views of the city, Runyon Canyon Park is a favored destination for dog owners to engage in physical activity and allow their four-legged companions to socialize.
- Coldwater Canyon Park – This park features a designated off-leash area for dogs, as well as walking trails and beautiful scenery for both dogs and their owners to enjoy.
- Sepulveda Basin Off-Leash Dog Park – With its large fenced-in area, separate sections for small and large dogs, and access to the nearby Sepulveda Basin Recreation Area, this park provides a great space for dogs to play and socialize.
- Whitnall Off-Leash Dog Park – Located in the San Fernando Valley, this park offers a dedicated off-leash area with agility equipment and shaded seating for dog owners.
- Laurel Canyon Dog Park – Nestled in the Hollywood Hills, this park features separate sections for small and large dogs, as well as water fountains, benches, and a scenic environment.
Best Parks in Los Angeles for Walking
- Echo Park – With its picturesque lake, walking paths, and stunning views of downtown Los Angeles, Echo Park offers a serene and scenic environment for leisurely walks.
- Rancho Park – This park features paved walking trails, beautiful gardens, and open spaces, providing a peaceful setting for walking and enjoying the outdoors.
- Ernest E. Debs Regional Park – Boasting hiking trails, picnic areas, and a tranquil lake, Debs Park is a perfect destination for those who love nature and seek a rejuvenating stroll.
- Vermont Canyon Park – Located within Griffith Park, this park offers scenic trails, including the popular Ferndell Trail, where you can experience a serene stroll amidst nature.
- Lake Hollywood Park – Situated near the iconic Hollywood Sign, this park features a walking path that offers breathtaking views of the sign and the surrounding hills.
Best Parks in Los Angeles for Runners
- Chevy Chase Park – Offering a variety of trails and paths, including a track, Chevy Chase Park is a popular destination for runners of all levels.
- Los Angeles State Historic Park – This park features open spaces and paved paths suitable for running, as well as historical landmarks and picnic areas.
- Elysian Park – With its hilly terrain and scenic views, Elysian Park provides a challenging and rewarding running experience for fitness enthusiasts.
- Woodley Avenue Park – This park offers a flat, paved loop that is popular among runners, as well as amenities like water fountains and restroom facilities.
- Pan Pacific Park – Boasting a well-maintained track and open fields, Pan Pacific Park provides a great space for runners to train and enjoy outdoor workouts.
Best Parks in Los Angeles for Sporting Activities
- Griffith Park – Beyond its recreational facilities, Griffith Park offers opportunities for various sporting activities, including tennis, golf, soccer, and horseback riding.
- Rancho Park – This park features sports fields, tennis courts, and a golf course, making it a popular destination for athletes and sports enthusiasts.
- Penmar Golf Course – Offering a challenging nine-hole course, Penmar Golf Course is a favorite among golfers looking to enjoy a round in a picturesque setting.
- Sepulveda Recreation Center – With its basketball courts, baseball diamonds, and soccer fields, Sepulveda Recreation Center provides ample space for various sporting activities.
- Echo Park Lake – Apart from its scenic walking paths, Echo Park Lake offers pedal boat rentals, fishing, and a skate park, catering to a wide range of sporting interests.
Best Parks in Los Angeles for Events and Entertainment
- Grand Park – Known for hosting numerous events and festivals throughout the year, Grand Park offers a vibrant and lively atmosphere for entertainment.
- Exposition Park – With its proximity to the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and Banc of California Stadium, Exposition Park frequently hosts concerts, sports events, and cultural festivals.
- Pershing Square – This park features an outdoor concert stage and an ice skating rink during the winter months, providing a hub for entertainment in downtown Los Angeles.
- Echo Park Lake – From summer movie nights to live music performances, Echo Park Lake offers a variety of entertainment options for park-goers.
- Exposition Park Rose Garden – Apart from its stunning rose displays, the Exposition Park Rose Garden occasionally hosts events, such as outdoor weddings and photography exhibitions.
Best Parks in Los Angeles for Riding Bikes
- Venice Beach Boardwalk – This iconic beachfront location offers a bike path along the coast, allowing cyclists to enjoy scenic views while riding.
- Whitnall Off-Leash Dog Park – In addition to its off-leash dog area, Whitnall Park features bike paths that wind through the park’s beautiful surroundings.
- Griffith Park – With its extensive trail network, Griffith Park provides opportunities for mountain biking, offering both challenging and leisurely routes.
- Echo Park Lake – This park features a bike path that encircles the lake, providing a pleasant and scenic route for cyclists.
- Silver Lake Recreation Center – Situated near Silver Lake Reservoir, this park offers bike paths where riders can enjoy the beautiful surroundings while cycling.
Top 3 Parks in Los Angeles
- Griffith Park – Griffith Park stands out as one of the largest urban parks in the United States, offering endless opportunities for outdoor activities, including hiking, biking, horseback riding, tennis, golf, and more. With its diverse attractions like the Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles Zoo, and the iconic Hollywood Sign, this park is a must-visit destination for both locals and tourists.
- Exposition Park – Located near downtown Los Angeles, Exposition Park combines green spaces with world-class cultural and entertainment venues. With attractions like the Natural History Museum, California Science Center, and the Exposition Park Rose Garden, this park provides a perfect blend of educational experiences and recreational opportunities.
- Echo Park – Echo Park is a beloved park in Los Angeles known for its picturesque lake, walking paths, and vibrant community atmosphere. It provides a peaceful retreat from the busy urban life, allowing visitors to enjoy leisurely walks, pedal boat rides, picnics, and even live entertainment at the Echo Park Lake Recreation Center. The park’s iconic lotus flower blooms during the summer months add an extra touch of beauty to this urban oasis.