Exploring Denver: The Ultimate Family Travel Guide
Denver, the capital of Colorado, is a vibrant city with a wealth of attractions for visitors of all ages. It offers a delightful mix of historic and contemporary charm, framed by the stunning backdrop of the Rocky Mountains.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Our blog posts may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we receive a modest commission at no extra cost to you. These commissions help us fund our team of travel writers, allowing us to continue providing you with the latest travel news, tips, and inspiration. Your support keeps this blog alive and thriving, and we appreciate it immensely. Thank you!
Top 15 Places to Visit in Denver
- Denver Art Museum – Housing over 70,000 works of art within its walls, the Denver Art Museum stands out as one of the largest art museums in the West. It’s especially known for its collection of American Indian Art and its other diverse exhibits. Website
- Denver Botanic Gardens – This 24-acre park offers a tranquil escape in the city, featuring a diverse array of plants and flowers from different climates and regions across the globe. Website
- Denver Zoo – As one of the most popular attractions in Denver, the zoo boasts over 4,000 animals from 600 species, including rare amur leopards and okapis. Website
- Larimer Square – Denver’s oldest block, Larimer Square, is a must-see for its historic buildings, chic boutiques, and world-class dining. Website
- Red Rocks Amphitheatre – An iconic outdoor concert venue with a stunning natural backdrop, Red Rocks hosts some of the biggest names in music. Website
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science – A great place for families and those curious about the natural world, featuring dinosaur fossils, a planetarium, and an IMAX theatre. Website
- Union Station – A bustling hub filled with shops, restaurants, and bars, Union Station is a perfect place to eat, shop, and soak in Denver’s unique ambience. Website
- Coors Field – For sports enthusiasts, a trip to Coors Field is a must. The home of the Colorado Rockies offers a unique baseball experience with a breathtaking view of the Rockies. Website
- Denver Mint – One of the two locations in the US that produce coins for circulation, Denver Mint offers free guided tours where you can learn about coin production and the history of the Mint. Website
- 16th Street Mall – A mile-long pedestrian thoroughfare filled with shopping, restaurants, and public art. Perfect for leisurely strolls and people-watching. Website
- Denver Public Library – A stunning architectural masterpiece, the library is more than just books. It often hosts free public events, art exhibits, and tours. Website
- The Molly Brown House Museum – The historic home of Denver’s unsinkable Molly Brown. Margaret “Molly” Brown was a socialite, philanthropist, and activist who became famous as one of the survivors of the Titanic disaster. The museum is a fascinating look into her life and the history of Denver in the early 20th century. Website
- Denver Performing Arts Complex – The second-largest performing arts centre in the world, it offers a wide range of performances from Broadway shows to ballet and opera. Website
- History Colorado Center – A museum that brings history to life with interactive exhibits, high-tech displays, and hands-on experiences. Website
- Cherry Creek Shopping District – Home to an upscale shopping district with over 160 shops, boutiques, and restaurants. Website
Top 10 Places to Visit in Denver for Kids
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science – A treasure trove of knowledge, this museum provides hands-on exhibits about dinosaurs, space, and the natural world. Website
- Denver Zoo – Kids will love seeing their favourite animals up close, from monkeys and lions to penguins and elephants. Website
- Children’s Museum of Denver at Marsico Campus – Designed to inspire children to explore, discover, and learn through play, this museum is perfect for younger kids. Website
- Denver Aquarium – Encounter a diverse array of aquatic life, from stingrays and sharks to mermaids! It’s a fantastic underwater adventure for children. Website
- Butterfly Pavilion and Insect Center – A place where kids can hold a starfish, marvel at glowing scorpions, and walk amongst 1,600 free-flying butterflies. Website
- Elitch Gardens Theme Park – Offering both thrilling rides and a water park, Elitch Gardens is the perfect place for a day of family fun. Website
- The Downtown Denver Rink – If visiting in winter, kids will love this outdoor ice-skating rink in downtown Denver. Website
- Hammond’s Candy Factory – A free tour of this candy factory will satisfy your sweet tooth. You’ll even get a free candy sample! Website
- Pirates Cove Water Park – A kid-friendly water park with a lazy river, water slides, and a leisure pool. Website
- Dinosaur Ridge – A national natural landmark, Dinosaur Ridge allows kids to touch the bones of dinosaurs discovered in the area. Website
Transportation in Denver
Denver is a city known for its efficient and diverse public transportation system, making it easy to navigate for tourists. The RTD Denver provides extensive bus and light rail services throughout the city, and you can check routes and schedules on their Website.
For more personalized service, rideshare apps like Uber and Lyft are readily available.
Top 5 Hotels in Denver
- The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa – A historic luxury hotel offering a unique blend of historic charm and modern amenities. Website
- The Art, a Hotel – Known for its contemporary design and art installations, this hotel offers a unique stay experience. Website
- Four Seasons Hotel Denver – Offering unparalleled luxury and a rooftop pool, it’s a perfect choice for a pampered stay. Website
- The Crawford Hotel – Located in the historic Denver Union Station, it provides a unique blend of history and comfort. Website
- The Oxford Hotel – Denver’s most historic hotel located in the vibrant LoDo neighbourhood, known for its classic charm and modern luxury. Website
|Season||Average Temperature (°C)||Average Temperature (°F)|
|Winter||-6°C to 7°C||21°F to 45°F|
|Spring||1°C to 17°C||34°F to 63°F|
|Summer||11°C to 31°C||52°F to 88°F|
|Autumn||-1°C to 20°C||30°F to 68°F|
- Pack layers: Denver’s weather can be unpredictable, so be prepared for quick changes.
- Stay hydrated: Denver’s high altitude can lead to dehydration.
- Sun protection: With over 300 days of sunshine a year, sunscreen is a must.
- Explore beyond the city: The Rocky Mountains are a short drive away, offering a wealth of outdoor activities.
- Try local cuisine: From craft beer to bison, Denver has a thriving food scene worth exploring.