Discover Adelaide, a dynamic city known for its vibrant culture, outstanding food and wine, picturesque landscapes, and thriving arts scene. Here, we list 15 must-see attractions followed by ten kid-friendly sites to ensure everyone has an amazing journey.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Our blog posts may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we receive a modest commission at no extra cost to you. These commissions help us fund our team of travel writers, allowing us to continue providing you with the latest travel news, tips, and inspiration. Your support keeps this blog alive and thriving, and we appreciate it immensely. Thank you!
Top 15 Places to Visit in Adelaide
- Adelaide Botanic Garden: Explore this verdant oasis right in the heart of the city. The garden features numerous plant collections, glasshouses, and scenic landscapes perfect for a peaceful stroll. Website
- Art Gallery of South Australia: Discover one of Australia’s largest art collections, showcasing historical and contemporary works from Australian, Aboriginal, and international artists. Website
- Adelaide Central Market: Savor the fresh produce and multicultural food stalls at this bustling hub, a paradise for food lovers. Website
- South Australian Museum: Immerse yourself in the rich natural and cultural heritage of Australia at this esteemed museum. Website
- Adelaide Oval: Visit this iconic sports venue that has hosted numerous memorable cricket and Australian Rules Football matches. Guided tours are available. Website
- Glenelg Beach: Enjoy this popular beach area, known for its stunning sunset views, beachside restaurants, and boutique shops. Website
- Adelaide Zoo: Meet over 3,000 animals, including the only giant pandas in the Southern Hemisphere. Website
- Mount Lofty Summit: Ascend to the highest peak of the Adelaide Hills and enjoy breathtaking panoramic views of the Adelaide cityscape. Website
- Cleland Wildlife Park: Experience close encounters with kangaroos, koalas, and emus in this open-range wildlife park. Website
- Adelaide’s Historic East End: Wander around the characterful streets, enjoy high-end shopping, and dine at some of Adelaide’s finest eateries in this historic district. Website
- Rundle Mall: Shop till you drop at South Australia’s premier shopping district. The mall is home to over 700 retail stores. Website
- North Terrace: Experience Adelaide’s cultural boulevard, featuring many of the city’s major institutions, including universities, museums, and art galleries. Website
- Port Adelaide: Discover this historic area’s maritime heritage, museums, and arts scene. Keep an eye out for the local dolphins! Website
- Himeji Garden: Revel in tranquillity at this traditional Japanese garden representing the beauty of nature in a miniature form. Website
- Adelaide’s Wine Regions: Explore the famous Barossa Valley, Clare Valley, and McLaren Vale wine regions, a short drive from the city. Website
Top 10 Places to Visit for Kids in Adelaide
- Monarto Safari Park: Experience one of the world’s largest open-range zoos where your kids can see lions, giraffes, and chimpanzees in their natural habitats. Website
- Adelaide Planetarium: Journey through the universe in this immersive educational experience, perfect for young astronomers. Website
- Carrick Hill: Let kids explore this historic property’s Story Book Trail, where Australian children’s literature comes to life. Website
- The Beachouse: Have a fun-filled day at this amusement park, complete with waterslides, bumper boats, mini golf, and a giant Ferris wheel. Website
- TreeClimb Adelaide: Children will enjoy this aerial adventure park, which includes treetop courses and zip-lining opportunities. Website
- South Australian Maritime Museum: Kids will love exploring South Australia’s seafaring history through interactive exhibits and ship models. Website
- National Railway Museum: Engage with the rich history of railways in Australia, featuring interactive exhibits, train rides, and impressive displays. Website
- Adelaide Gaol: An unusual attraction that older kids might find intriguing, this former prison-turned-museum showcases life behind bars in the 1800s. Website
- St Kilda Playground: Known as one of South Australia’s best playgrounds, it features numerous slides, swings, and climbing structures. Website
- The Ice Arena: Enjoy a cool day out at Adelaide’s premier ice skating rink, offering skating lessons and fun events. Website
Getting Around Adelaide
Adelaide’s public transport system, Adelaide Metro, comprises buses, trams, and trains that cover most of the city and surrounding areas. For real-time updates and bookings, visit their Website. Taxis and rideshare apps like Uber are also widely available. Alternatively, consider renting a bike from Bike SA, offering free bike hire around the city.
Top 5 Hotels in Adelaide
- The Mayfair Hotel: This luxury hotel combines classic elegance with modern amenities. Website
- InterContinental Adelaide: Experience five-star luxury at this hotel located on the banks of the River Torrens. Website
- Peppers Waymouth Hotel: This boutique hotel offers stylish accommodation in the heart of Adelaide’s CBD. Website
- The Playford Adelaide – MGallery: A boutique hotel offering a fusion of classic style and contemporary luxury. Website
- Pullman Adelaide: Located in the city’s heart, Pullman Adelaide offers sophisticated accommodations with stunning views. Website
|Season||Average Temperature (°C)||Average Temperature (°F)|
Adelaide Travel Tips
- Adelaide’s sun can be intense. Always wear sunscreen, especially in the summer.
- Stay hydrated. Carry a water bottle when you’re exploring.
- Public transport is reliable, but a rental car is useful for exploring wine regions.
- Adelaide is known for its festivals. Check the events schedule during your visit.
- Tipping is not mandatory in Australia but is appreciated for good service.
Adelaide is a city that charms with its myriad attractions, friendly locals, and delectable food and wine. Plan your visit today to experience the ‘City of Churches in all its glory.