Hi friends! If you’re looking for a change of scenery, or just want to explore somewhere new, Montana is definitely worth checking out. There’s so much to do and see in Big Sky Country – from stunning mountain ranges and extraordinary lakes like those of Yellowstone National Park, to bustling cities and charming small towns (or haunted ones like the Garnet Ghost Town).
Here are some of the best places to visit in Montana. Don’t forget to pack your hiking boots and camera!
Best places to visit in Montana: National Parks
Glacier National Park
Glacier National Park is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Montana. The park is best known for its stunning scenery, with its towering mountains, pristine lakes, and lush forests. There are also plenty of opportunities for hiking, camping, and wildlife watching.
Bears can be found in Glacier National Park. If you approach them, they will most likely walk away. However, if the noise of a creek or the wind makes it more difficult for them to detect your presence, they may become hostile if they see you all of a sudden near them. These animals will not attack unless they are trying to protect their babies. It’s best to stay away so that you don’t challenge them.
Some of the best things to see in Glacier National Park include:
1. The Going-to-the-Sun Road – This scenic drive takes you through the heart of the park, offering stunning views of the mountains, forests, and lakes.
2. Lake McDonald – This beautiful lake is one of the most popular spots in the park, with plenty of opportunities for boating, fishing, and swimming.
3. Grinnell Glacier – This glacier is a popular destination for hikers and mountaineers, who come to explore the dramatic landscape and get up close to this impressive natural feature.
4. The Many Glacier Hotel – Constructed in 1915, this historic hotel is set in a stunning location, surrounded by beautiful mountains and pristine forests.
5. Logan Pass – Located at the top of Going-to-the-Sun Road, this scenic viewpoint offers incredible views of the surrounding mountains, as well as dozens of hiking trails and waterfalls.
Be sure to add these must-see sights to your list whether you’re exploring Glacier National Park on your own or joining a guided tour. You’re sure to have an unforgettable experience in this beautiful park.
Yellowstone National Park
With its vast wilderness, stunning natural landscapes, and abundant wildlife, Yellowstone National Park is a top destination for any nature lover to visit in Montana. Whether you’re into hiking, camping, fishing, or simply enjoying stunning views of the mountains and lakes, Yellowstone is one of the best National Parks to visit worldwide.
Some of the best things to see in Yellowstone National Park include:
1. Old Faithful – This iconic geyser is one of the park’s best-known attractions, with its predictable eruption schedule drawing thousands of visitors every year.
2. Grand Prismatic Spring – This beautiful spring is over 300 feet across and is best viewed from above via a scenic overlook or helicopter tour.
3. Hayden Valley – Known for its abundant wildlife viewing opportunities, this picturesque valley is home to elk, bison, grizzly bears, wolves, and much more. Explore the hiking trails and breathe fresh air.
4. Mammoth Hot Springs – This fascinating geothermal area features a variety of hot springs and terraced limestone formations.
5. Yellowstone Lake – Located at the heart of the park, this massive lake offers opportunities for boating, fishing, kayaking, and more.
The Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park
The Lewis and Clark Caverns are one of the best places to visit in Montana, offering visitors a unique experience of stunning underground landscapes.
1. The main cavern – This incredible natural wonder features massive rooms with towering limestone formations and beautifully illuminated cave walls.
2. The Wolf-man sculpture – This popular attraction is a life-sized statue depicting a hunter standing over his prey with his two wolf companions.
3. Bat cave – This spooky cave is home to a large colony of bats, which can be seen roosting in the darkness.
4. The fossil room – This room features a variety of fossils dating back millions of years, including trilobites, crinoids, and brachiopods.
5. The waterfall room – This stunning cavern features a cascading waterfall that flows into a pool below.
Clark Fork River
The Clark Fork River is one of the top places to visit in Montana, offering visitors a chance to enjoy the state’s natural beauty and abundant wildlife. If you’re into fly fishing, this is your place!
Some of the best things to see along the River include:
1. The river itself – It is a beautiful waterway that flows through some of Montana’s most scenic landscapes.
2. The river otters – These playful creatures are often seen frolicking in the river or sunning themselves on the banks.
3. The bald eagles – These majestic birds can be seen flying high above the river or perched in nearby trees.
4. The waterfalls – With countless waterfalls cascading down the rocky cliffs alongside the river, there is no shortage of stunning views to enjoy.
5. The wildlife – Whether you’re hiking through the forested hills or exploring the open plains, you are sure to spot plenty of deer, elk, and other animals along the River.
Best places to visit in Montana: Resorts
The Big Sky Resort and Moonlight Basin
These are two of the best places to visit in Montana if you’re looking for a luxurious and relaxing getaway. With beautiful mountain views, top-class amenities, and a variety of activities, these resorts offer the perfect escape from everyday life.
Some of the top things to do at these resorts include hiking, biking, golfing, cross country skiing, mountain biking and horseback riding. Note that horseback riding is offered by private ranches in the area that are not part of Big Sky Resort.
Whitefish is a town in Montana that sits on the shores of Whitefish Lake. Top attractions in Whitefish include its charming downtown area, which is home to a variety of shops and restaurants, as well as its abundance of activities, including hiking, kayaking, and fishing. In addition, the town is also known for being a popular destination for wildlife viewing, with many locals spotting deer and elk roaming freely through the town.
Whitefish Mountain Resort
The town is best known for its ski resort, which receives an average of 300 inches of snow each year and offers 3,000 acres of activities terrains. This resort offers plenty of slopes and trails to explore, along with other fun activities like summer tubing and night skiing.
The Flathead Lake
Located near the Flathead National Forest, the Flathead Lake is one of the largest freshwater lakes in the United States and offers a variety of activities for everyone to enjoy.
Some of the best things to do at Flathead Lake include swimming, fishing, boating, and hiking. There are wildlife and hiking trails that surround the lake, allowing visitors to get in touch with nature and take in the stunning scenery. Additionally, there are also several nearby towns and villages where you can find a range of restaurants, shops, and other attractions.
At Flathead Lake, visitors can also have a look at the Wild Horse Island where bighorn sheep graze. You can also go camping, boating and fishing at the Flathead Lake State Park.
Bighorn Battlefield National Monument
This national monument commemorates the Battle of the Little Bighorn, which was fought between the Lakota Sioux and Cheyenne tribes against the 7th Cavalry Regiment of the United States Army. The monument includes a Visitor’s Center with exhibits about the battle as well as a memorial to those who lost their lives. There are also walking trails that take you through the battlefield, giving you a chance to see where the battle unfolded.
Montana State Capitol
The Montana State Capitol is located in Helena and is the seat of state government for Montana. This historic building was completed in 1902 and features a grandiose neoclassical design. Visitors to the Capitol can explore the rotunda, view the stained glass windows, and see where the state legislature meets.
Fort Benton is a charming town in Montana that is best known for its rich history and picturesque setting along the banks of the Missouri River. This old town is full of historical landmarks, including museums, old buildings, and monuments.
Visitors to Fort Benton can also enjoy a wide range of outdoor activities, from biking and hiking to camping, boating and fishing. Additionally, there are plenty of restaurants and shops where you can find delicious food and unique souvenirs. In case you’re visiting in summer, don’t miss the Summer festival or try your luck at the Spring Fishing Derby!
Custer Gallatin National Forest
The Custer Gallatin National Forest is a vast wilderness area in Montana that is best known for its incredible natural beauty. With mountains, valleys, forests, rivers, and lakes all waiting to be explored, this forest offers endless opportunities for hiking, camping, fishing, picnics horse riding and more. In addition, the Custer Gallatin National Forest is also home to a variety of wildlife, including bears which all visitors should be aware of.
Missouri River Country
Missouri River Country is a region in Montana that is best known for its stunning scenery and abundance of outdoor activities. The Missouri River runs through this region, providing opportunities for swimming, fishing, boating, and kayaking. In addition, there are plenty of hiking and biking trails that wind through the area as well as horse riding, hockey, stargazing and rodeos.
Best places to visit in Montana: Museums
World Museum of Mining in Montana
Located in Butte, Montana, the World Museum of Mining is a popular attraction for people of all ages. This fascinating museum offers exhibits and interactive displays that showcase the history and culture of mining in Montana and around the world. Visitors can explore historic mine shafts, learn about different mining techniques and technologies, watch videos about famous mining disasters, and more.
Whether you’re a history buff, an outdoor enthusiast, or just looking for a fun and educational day out, the World Museum of Mining is sure to impress.
Charles M. Russell Museum
The Charles M. Russell Museum is dedicated to the life and work of the famous American artist, Charles M. Russell. This museum is located in Great Falls, Montana and houses the largest collection of Russell’s art in the world. Visitors can view paintings, sculptures, sketches, and other works by the artist, best known for his depictions of western life and Native American culture.